Saturday, August 25, 2018

Why Hello There!

You've probably forgotten who I am, so allow me to introduce myself. My name is Vanessa. I am the author, illustrator, and neglecter of this little blog.  

I am a wife of one,

(this and photo below by Emily Ingalls Photography )

mother to three,


five if you count my two fur terrors, one of which is the cutest dog in the world. I'll let you decide which of the two.


Ok, I know that was hard. It's this one:


I teach art to middle school and high school homeschoolers.

(Some of my students' work.)

I love to travel...


with my family.


 Scotland has been my favorite trip so far.

I'm super strong.


Well, not really. But I am a big dork, which my kids absolutely love.


Honestly, they can't be more proud.


But, hopefully, that goofiness shines through in my work. I write and illustrate picture books. My debut book as an author/illustrator, Lucy and the String (Penguin/Dial Books for Young Readers), came out on August 7th, and boy do I have a lot to share about release week, which I will do as I'm determined to revive this dying blog.


Here's a bit of praise for Lucy:

"Roeder uses pencils, watercolors, and “lots of digital string” in a palette of red, black, and white to create an imaginative and entertaining tale of crafting and friendship."


"Newcomer Roeder works in a gray-black-white palette lit up by the yarn’s brilliant scarlet, and she paces the story’s panels and vignettes with care while exploring the full range of the yarn’s possibilities."



"The two-color palette (shades of black and a zingy red) and effective paneling balance the scribbly string with the more fully defined, expressive ursine and child figures. Pair this with Watkins’ Pete with No Pants (BCCB 5/17) for some serious giggles, but make sure everyone knows no pants, no storytime."

- BCCB

"Lucy and the String celebrates the power of imagination driving the friendship between gap-toothed Lucy and her ursine companion."


"With strong lines and vivid color, Roeder tells the story of a little girl’s insatiable curiosity and the endless possibilities that result. The spunky, vintage style will appeal to fans of Jon Klassen and Oliver Jeffers."


"[The book] teaches children the values of curiosity and innovation through an entertaining (and adorable) storyline."


Lucy and the String was also named one of Amazon's Best Books for the month of August!


I love my family, I love being a mom, and I love what I do. Life has been quite an adventure so far, and I can't wait to see where this journey takes me!

xo

Vanessa






No comments: