Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Coffee Talk

Here’s the proof that I actually hung some artwork at a coffee shop. I hired a few college students to pose in the pictures, so my art would look young, hip and fresh. Is it just me, or are these college students looking younger and younger these days?

DSC_0123-1

C:\Users\sdr\Pictures\2011-10-04\DSC_0104.JPG

DSC_0106DSC_0107-1

DSC_0129

DSC_0109

I have to admit that when I started making paintings for this display, I had never visited JP’s Java, and happened to overlook its location on the north side of the University of Texas campus. This is a good example of not knowing your audience, and as a result, I have a bunch of new children’s paintings for my Etsy shop. The week before my paintings were to be hung, I visited the coffee shop and realized that instead of families with young children, my audience would consist of hipster college kids. I don’t think these whipper-snappers would appreciate the adorable critters and whimsical gingerbread houses I had been working on the previous month. So I put on my procrastinators thinking cap, came up with the vintage technology theme, and knocked out nine paintings in a week. I did include paintings that cross over the boundaries of age [mainly robots and one owl] in keeping with the content of my Etsy shop. Hopefully some good will come from this exposure, but if nothing else, I have some pretty cool pieces for my house.

xo

nessa dee

No comments: