Monday, February 13, 2012

Studio Progress

*** I am very frustrated with Blogger right now. I haven't been able to post things from Live Writer for a week now, and even my techie husband can't figure out what's going on. I tried posting this last Wednesday, and since then I've finished installing the floor. We've also been crafting and getting ready for Valentine's Day, but haven't been able to post any of that either. I am posting directly from Blogger, now until I can get the problem figured out. Until then, I'll have to settle for small fuzzy pictures and wonky layouts.***

My studio floor is coming right along. I should be done in an hour or so if I can tear myself away from the computer. I went with Allure resilient floor for it’s durability, ease of installation, and the fact that it’s waterproof. It’s been super easy to put in except when it comes to cutting around trim. That is a huge pain. Sure, cutting a straight line with a box cutter is easy enough, but when it comes to cutting curves, forget it. Let’s just say that there’s going to be some creative solutions with quarter round trim.
I chose an ash grey for two reasons, the first being that I wanted to keep the studio light and bright. The second reason was a result of my ability to overthink everything. We have beautiful dark hand-scraped wood floors which were installed on the entire first floor last year. While cosmetically, getting the same flooring for the studio would have unified the look of the house, the functionality of the wood floor wouldn’t hold up to my many messes. So, I turned to laminate.




When I found the resilient flooring I spent months agonizing over what color to choose. They had some beautiful dark wood-look choices that would have mimicked the downstairs flooring, but here’s where my thoughts got in the way. If in the future we put our house on the market, someone walks in to the studio, sees the similar flooring, notes that it’s not real wood but a cheaper solution, therefore thinks we cut corners. And if we cut corners there, they might think that we’ve opted for cheaper solutions elsewhere in the house. I wanted to make sure that the flooring choice looked deliberate if such a situation might occur. Really, what it boils down to is that I didn’t want someone thinking I was cheap.

That being said, I love the look and can’t wait to move back into my studio with a floor that I can wipe clean with a damp cloth. Hallelujah!
xo
nessa dee

No comments: