Friday, July 29, 2011

Plans

We’re about to start some more projects in our house, and I’m eager to get them all done…at once…in one day. BUT…that’s not going to happen, so instead I’m trying to figure out where to start. We’ll be having tile put in the upstairs bathrooms next week, as well as new flooring put in my studio, so I should probably start with painting those walls first. However, my brain doesn’t always think of the practical. It wants to focus on the fun. That’s why I’ve been perusing the internet for ideas for our gameroom.

Since we moved into the house, I’ve wanted to lighten up the dark brown walls, and make the space fun and kid friendly. Not that having a big open space to do with what you will is not kid friendly, it just doesn’t look like a space for a child’s imagination to soar to the very ends of the universe. So, imagine, if you will this tent, surrounded by bright yellow stripes and colorful accents, board and batten, and lit with a red chandelier:

DSC_0002

Yeah, I had a hard time picturing it, too, so I drew out several ideas [please note, that these were hand drawn last night in very dim light, so be impressed]:

::This first plan has an accent wall of yellow and white stripes, flanked on either side by a faux board and batten treatment. The hallway that leads to the kids’ rooms will be painted a spring green and have bead board. 

GR-plan1

:: Design # 2 has the same yellow and white stripes, but this time they’re flanked with grey walls to pull the grey in from other rooms in our house. I might add bead board, I might not.

GR-plan2

:: The third design has the yellow and white stripes flanking the board and batten focal wall. The hallway is painted the same yellow as the stripes.

GR-plan3

All of the designs have a blue ceiling which will pull in the blue from the kids’ rooms and our office nook upstairs, and all have a red chandelier. I found a chandelier at a garage sale for $3 that has always wanted to be red [it told me]. I want to figure out how to add some wooden beads to the fixture for a different look, but I’m not sure how just yet.

I have several more combinations of stripes and colors, but I had to quit somewhere. And I just realized that I forgot the arched opening on the third design. Oh well.

Decisions, decisions, decisions.

xo

nessa dee

2 comments:

Donna Casey VanCleve said...

I think I like #2 best

Jenna said...

My vote is the first one, I think.