Tuesday, November 5, 2013

From my sketchbook

I've been working on several projects lately, some personal, and some to try to garner some work. I submitted some illustrations in response to a search for illustrators for a picture book project. I submitted them last month and have my fingers crossed, but I know how competitive this business can be, so if nothing else, I at least have three new portfolio pieces which I'll have to share with you later.

Personally,  I decided to participate in PiBoIdMo as well as SkADaMo to get my creative cogs turning. [No, August wasn't helping me type] PiBoIdMo is short for Picture Book Idea Month and SkADaMo stands for Sketch a Day Month. Participating in PiBoIdMo means that you commit to coming up with 30 picture book ideas in 30 days. My brain is full of picture book ideas, and I tend to write them down in random places at random times. PiBoIdMo is adding a bit of structure to my process, or lack thereof. Basically, I'm writing my ideas down in the same notebook, and I'm forcing myself to actively come up with new ideas, and expand old ones. I love the creative challenge this offers!

As for SkADaMo, I already sketch every night, so this wasn't a huge stretch for me. I just wanted to add the cute button to my blog! Seriously, though, being a stay-at-home, homeschooling mom, it's not always easy to get in the studio to paint some days. But I can draw anywhere at anytime. I always have a small sketchbook on hand to take advantage of of those magical moments of free time. And those free moments can lead to quick little sketches that lead to big ideas and new characters. My dummy book that I'm finishing up came from one of those moments.

Enough talk. Onto the pictures!
Here are the sketches I've produced so far:


 

And one of those sketches led to my latest portfolio piece:


"This little piggy went to market."

xo
nessa dee

7 comments:

Donna Casey VanCleve said...

I would love to see the whole story behind this beautiful illustration. I find myself going back to look at all the interesting items in the shelves, and the patient expression on the grocer's face.

Joanne Roberts said...

L-O-V-E your Piggy in the market! and also the way all your sketches tell a story.

sketched out said...

Your style is so adorable! You really have a voice!

theartofpuro said...

Love your piggy:) Great sketches:)

Heather said...

Adorable, it was great to see the sketches move from sketch to finalized image.

I really love the old lady feeding pidgeons :)

Nessa Dee said...

Thank you all so much for your nice comments!

Anonymous said...

Fun to see so many sketches together! I may not comment every skadamoday, but I'm looking!