Friday, August 14, 2009

Crafty Friday: Masks

This project was requested by my kiddos, so I was happy to oblige.

Here’s what you need:masks1

-construction paper or card stock
-scissors
-glue
-string or ribbon
-markers & crayons
-beads
-glitter
-faux feathers

Step 1: We printed off mask templates onto cardstock to give us something to start with. We found them here.

Step 2: Cut out the mask. For the eye holes, fold the paper in half through the middle of the eye and cut a slit to get you started. This way, you won’t have to cut into the edge of the mask. Then, punch holes on either side of the mask for tying the ribbon through.masks2

Step 3: Start decorating the mask. Audrie decided to fill her mask with colorful designs before adding embellishments. Finn went straight for the glitter and then added a few beads for an extra touch.

masks5 masks3 masks6

Step 4: Once you’re finished with all of the decorating, it’s time to add the ribbon for tying the mask onto the face. First measure the length of the ribbon you’ll need. I did this by stretching it around half of my kids’ heads. I then added a bit extra, enough for tying through the holes, and tying a bow at the back of the head. Cut two pieces of ribbon, and secure each piece to the mask by tying a knot through the hole on either side.

DSC_0101

Step 5: Wear the mask!

masks9 masks10

Happy Crafting!

nessa dee

Next week, we’ll be making paper dolls!

3 comments:

Margaret said...

Woww. Those are amazing quality pictures!

I love the idea. I used to make something like that when I was a kid. I miss those days. :)

Art Fan Ako said...

Nice sharp photos! Masks are great for Halloween. :)

gma said...

I would like to be one of your children to make these funny things you know