Friday, July 27, 2012

Crafty Friday: Clothespin Dolls

I was hoping I'd be titling this post Crafty Friday: Baby Boy, but this little kid is being stubborn, I've been threatening to have to kidnap someone else's baby because I think this guy has just made himself a permanent home in my womb. Sigh. Can you tell I'm growing impatient?

Since I'm not cuddling a baby yet, we had time to dig into the craft bags I made for my kids. I filled each of the bags with printed instructions and all of the materials necessary to complete the craft. The kids decided on the clothespin doll craft because they needed some occupants for our box house. We used some great step-by-step instructions from a blog called dandee. The instructions are easy to follow and are accompanied by clear pictures. So, with our craft bag in hand, we got to work.


It wasn't long before I noticed that things were starting to deviate from the simple instructions. Some of the dolls were turning green, I was being asked for foil and ribbon spools, and all of my prep work was being tossed out the window in favor of new plans.


What's a tired pregnant lady to do? Just go with it. So, our simple craft turned into an all day affair, but what we ended up with was quite an array of little clothespin characters, and two very happy kids.

Here are our more normal clothespin dolls:

This is Max and Kyle...


Lizzie and Ash, the skateboarding ninja...


[By the way, Ash's pasta skateboard actually rolls. When Finn requested we make a working skateboard, I told them it couldn't be done. Leave it to my kids to prove me wrong.]

Here are our more creative characters:

Blackbeard the pirate...


Luke the alien...


in his special alien ribbon spool spacecraft...


with his astronaut friend, Phil...


There are a few more characters that weren't quite finished, but, like I said, I'm impatient at the moment, so they missed their cameos.

Happy Crafting!

xo

nessa dee

2 comments:

Kristi Valiant said...

These are really neat. You're such a fabulous mommy. Congrats on that sweet lil' baby coming soon!

Abbey said...

Simply fantastic! Love the creativity.