Friday, April 10, 2009

The Blues

That was an unintended blog break. I guess I was recovering after revisiting DC with everyone. Well, I've currently come down with a case of the blues. It's not because my dog chewed up two of my paintings and I had to delete them from my Etsy store. (Does anyone want a dog, by the way?) And it's not because we're already into April and I've yet to come up with specific New Years resolutions. (Now I am depressed.) Nope, I'm in the process of redecorating my kid's bathroom/guest bath and the walls are now, you guessed it, blue. A light, bright blue to be exact. Not unlike this picture:



(Pottery Barn)


It wasn't the first shade of blue, though. The bathroom started off more like this:



(Pottery Barn Kids)


See the difference? The idea was to lighten the small, dark bathroom, which I have dubbed the cave. It started off a deep shade of ochre with a night sky, the whole Tuscany villa type thing, something I was into five years ago. But, my tastes have changed, and I wanted something lighter, fresher, more airy; something that could be paired with fun, bright colors for the kids (like this rug that I bought from Target ),or be paired with neutral accessories for a more sophisticated look. (Black and white toile maybe?) Well, the first color was nice....on my skin out in natural light, but since I couldn't drag my windowless bathroom out into the sun, the glowing electric blue had to go. The second color, custom mixed by me, well, it was definitely toned down when painted right next to the first. Once the bathroom was completely done, though, it was hard to tell the difference. (I can, but my husband thinks I'm crazy.) Oh well, I'm not repainting it for at least another week. I'm hoping once it's accessorized, it will be less shocking. In the meantime, I'll just have to live with the fact that anytime you walk past the bathroom, you look something like this:



Nessa Dee

2 comments:

Abby said...

Oh, the stars are gone! Hope you took some good pictures! May you be spared from painting a 3rd time!

tammy said...

I have repainted many times but I still love painting!